HALF DAY FOR CIDADE VELHA, THE CAPE VERDE CRADLE
Twenty minutes from the Capital is located Cidade Velha, the first city founded in Africa by the Portuguese. Where you can find some historic remains, most of them ruins, houses with stones walls and sometimes thatched roofs. The lush vegetation of the valley, especially the coconut trees and the imposing baobabs, flows into town.
The Sao Filipe Fort is located at 120 meter from sea level and it was built with stones from Portugal and Maio Island and it was built to defend the city from pirates because during the years 1500 to 1600 there were constant attacks by famous corsairs such as Francis Drake and Cassard.
In the city centre there are several monuments to visit, including the Cathedral built between 1556-1700 and then the main square where lies the stunning monument (Pilorinho) where the slaves would be executed, the main square was also a slave market. The ''Banana'' street is the first street in sub-Saharan Africa with the typical houses cover with banana and sugar cane leafs.
The street will take us to see the church of “Nossa Senhora do Rosario Dos Homens Pretos ' which was built in 1495, and on the middle of the valley we can find the Convent of Sao Francisco build by a rich woman from Santiago, to receive religious Franciscans newcomers to the island.
Lunch at the Restaurant Terreru kultura near the sea. The lunch normally is grill fresh fish, dessert, water and cafe.
Duration: 3 hours
• Seeing the unique place which belongs to the World Heritage of Unesco • Small group ensures personal service
• Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
• Private guide for a more personalized experience
• Ideal choice for families
• All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
• All local taxes, fees and handling charges
• Fuel surcharge
• Driver/professional guide
• Hotel pickup and drop-off
• Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
• Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
• Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
PRICE FROM: 45 EUR / person
CHILDREN: - 50%
© Gaia Tourism 2018